Continuing Medical Education
CME access options
- Purchase and access individual CME activities at the links below. If you received a complimentary free activity code, you can enter it during purchase.
Straight Healthcare subscribers
- $100/year subscribers - CME is included with your subscription. As long as you are logged in to your account, you can access the CME.
- $10/month subscribers - You can purchase the individual activities or upgrade to a $100/year subscription by logging in to your account, clicking on the "Subscription" tab, and changing to a yearly subscription.
Medical Study Analysis (5 credits) - $40
About / Objectives
Every month, hundreds of studies are published in medical journals. Some are practice-changing, while many offer little value other than a credit in the author's bio. Sifting through the barrage of trials, guidelines, analyses, and reviews to find meaningful content can be difficult. It's more important now than ever that providers understand the principles of quality medical research and sound statistical techniques so they can decipher which information will improve their outcomes. After completing this program, providers will be able to:
- Define the four main types of medical studies, including their strengths and weaknesses
- Identify confounding and different types of bias
- Explain basic statistical concepts, including the normal distribution, confidence intervals, p-values, and study power
- Define different types of outcome analysis and recognize the problems with each
- Interpret and apply study measures, including relative and absolute risk, sensitivity, and specificity
Outline and Excerpt
AAFP Credit Acceptance
The AAFP has reviewed this program and deemed it acceptable for AAFP credit.
Providers should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their
participation in the activity.
AMA/ AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as
equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™ toward the AMA Physician's Recognition
Award. When applying for the AMA PRA, Prescribed credit earned must be reported as
Prescribed, not as Category 1
AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the following organizations:
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA)
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB)
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM)
- American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM)
- American Board of Preventative Medicine (ABPM)
- American Board of Urology (ABU)